Illinois Stop Sign Violation Lawyers
Traffic Attorneys in DuPage and Cook Counties
Every state regulates the flow of traffic with stop signs and traffic lights and hold drivers to obeying these signs under substantial penalties. Under Illinois law (625 ILCS 5/11-1204), drivers are required to stop before entering the crosswalk or clearly marked stop line, or at the point nearest the intersection before entering the intersection. Being charged with failure to obey a stop sign can have more serious consequences than one anticipates. If you are cited for disobeying a stop sign, you can avoid high fines, a negative effect on your driving record, and increased insurance premiums with an experienced traffic violations attorney representing you. For decades, the traffic defense attorneys at Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. have managed successful outcomes for clients charged with disobeying a stop sign in DuPage County and throughout Chicago.
For help with a traffic violation, contact us today at (630) 472-9700.
Defending Disobeying a Stop Sign Traffic Offense
A traffic violation of any kind can lead to serious penalties, especially when the violations start piling up. If you are charged with failure to obey a stop sign, you may respond with one of three options:
- Pleading guilty, paying a fine of $75, and receiving a conviction that negatively affects your driving record and your insurance premiums; or
- Pleading guilty, taking a driving class, paying a fine of $175, and receiving a sentence of Court Supervision, which does not have a negative affect on your driving privileges; or
- Going to a traffic court, pleading not guilty, and going to trial defending against the charges. (Note that if you attempt to go to trial without representation, you will be expected to know the law, the Illinois rules of evidence, and behave like a lawyer in court even though you have never been to law school.)
When you have a good record, it is always wise to keep it that way by avoiding a conviction. An experienced attorney is a great asset in any courtroom. The traffic defense attorneys at Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. are well reputed in the traffic courts of Illinois for our defense of clients running stop signs and a wide variety of traffic violation cases. We can offer many defense strategies in your case. Perhaps you were stopped further back than observed by the police officer, or the officer's view was obstructed. We can put forth a "mistake of fact" defense, establishing that:
- The stop sign was not in plain view, improperly placed, or otherwise obscured;or
- The crosswalk line or white line was faded or obscured by snow.
Contact a Reputable Traffic Violations Lawyer
Along with solid defense strategies and the presentation of mitigating circumstances in your failure obey a stop sign case, Our team can utilize appropriate photos, videos, and demonstrations help you prevail. You can protect your driving privileges and avoid a conviction on your record by contacting our skilled traffic violations defense attorneys at Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. at any time. We have two offices conveniently located to serve clients in the Chicagoland area.