Illinois Texting While Driving Attorneys
Traffic Violations Lawyers in Chicago and DuPage County
When drivers text while driving a vehicle, they break Illinois law. If you are charged with texting while driving, you risk your driving privileges and a fine. Retaining a traffic violations defense attorney, experienced in defending texting while driving charges, can help protect your rights. The skilled lawyers at Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C has successfully represented texting while driving clients throughout DuPage County and Chicago.
Texting While Driving in Illinois
With the ban on using electronic devices, Illinois law permitted only the use of hands-free devices, including speakerphones, Bluetooth, and headsets while driving. The texting prohibition law (625 ILCS 5/12-610.2) states clearly: "A person may not operate a motor vehicle on a roadway while using an electronic communication device to compose, send, or read an electronic message." With the ban on using electronic devices, the January 2014 law banned the use of handheld devices, permitted only the use of hands-free devices, including speakerphones, Bluetooth, and headsets while driving. The texting law excludes the following:
- A law enforcement officer or operator of an emergency vehicle while performing his or her official duties;
- A driver using an electronic communication device for the sole purpose of reporting an emergency situation and continued communication with emergency personnel during the emergency situation;
- A driver using an electronic communication device in hands-free or voice-activated mode;
- A driver of a commercial motor vehicle reading a message displayed on a permanently installed communication device designed for a commercial motor vehicle with a screen that does not exceed 10 inches tall by 10 inches wide in size;
- A driver using an electronic communication device while parked on the shoulder of a roadway; and
- A driver using an electronic communication device when the vehicle is stopped due to normal traffic being obstructed and the driver has the motor vehicle transmission in neutral or park.
An officer can pull you over if you are observed texting and issue a citation, a fine of $75 and a possible conviction which can result in a loss of driving privileges and increased auto insurance premiums.
For a free case evaluation, call (630) 472-9700 today.
Call for Skilled Texting While Driving Representation
Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. is skilled in defending texting while driving tickets, especially with teenagers in Graduated Driver's License programs and bus drivers, for whom texting and the use of a cell phone is totally prohibited. The Harry Team can help you keep your driving privileges and protect your rights. You want to avoid any conviction on your driving record. Call for an appointment with one of our skilled driving while texting defense attorneys at one of our offices, conveniently located to serve clients in DuPage County, Chicago, Wheaton, Rolling Meadows, Bridgeview, Maywood, and Skokie. Your initial consultation is free.