Forest Park Unlawful Use of Weapons Defense Attorneys
Illinois has very strict laws governing the unlawful use of weapons (UUWs). Arrest on UUW charges in Forest Park can be quite serious, leading to a substantial fine and/or jail time if convicted. If you or someone you know is facing weapons charges, you need to retain legal counsel as soon as possible. Our experienced attorneys at McPherson Harry & Associates, P.C. have successfully represented UUW clients in Forest Park and throughout northwest Chicago.
Unlawful use of weapons involves the possession of a concealed or uncased, loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm with ammunition that is immediately accessible, in any vehicle or public place. The weapon could be any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser, knife, blackjack, or other firearm readily capable of lethal use.
Aggravating Circumstances in UUW
When you commit a criminal offense with a deadly weapon under certain aggravated circumstances, you can receive heavier fines and stiffer sentencing. These circumstances include:
- Lack of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card (FOID)
- Previous adjudication as a delinquent minor for an act that if committed by an adult would be a felony
- Engaging a misdemeanor drug violation at the time of UUW
- Being subject to an order of protection within the previous 2 years of UUW
- Engaging in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor threat of violence against the person or property of another
- Being under 21 years of age and in possession of a handgun
- Discharging or shooting a firearm into a house, a railroad train, boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle, or any public building
- Discharging or shooting a firearm at or from a motor vehicle
- Discharging a firearm within 100 yards of any occupied schoolhouse, courthouse, church building, or along or across a public highway
Sentences for UUW
The aggravated unlawful use of a weapon is a Class 4 felony with a possible sentence of not less than one year and not more than 3 years. A second or subsequent offense is a Class 2 felony that may lead to a sentence of incarceration for not less than 3 years and not more than 7 years.
McPherson Harry & Associates, P.C. provides affordable, professional, and prompt legal representation in unlawful use of weapons cases. You don not want to risk a permanent criminal record and the lost of your freedom. We have had penalties and charges dismissed or reduced. If you face UUW charges, or any criminal charge in Forest Park or anywhere in the Northwest Chicago area, contact our attorneys right away. We handle UUW clients in DuPage, Cook, Will, and Kane counties. Schedule your free initial consultation at one of our three convenient offices.